Become a PAWS volunteer and help us save Philadelphia’s homeless pets! Whether you help at adoption events, socialize or bathe animals at the shelter, transport them to foster homes or adoption locations, or provide administrative support, your time and compassion will make a tremendous difference in the lives of the animals who depend on us. We have volunteer opportunities to fit every schedule and preference. Please join us!
Are you a current PAWS volunteer?
Thank you for spending your free time with us! Log in here to schedule a shift or sign up for an event.
Interested in becoming a PAWS volunteer?
Getting started is simple! Just click here to fill out a brief application. Once we receive it, we’ll email you to schedule an orientation (please be sure to check your spam/junk mail folder if you don’t see anything from us within 48 hours!).
We have volunteer opportunities at the following locations:
- PAWS Old City Adoption Center:
100 N. 2nd St., Phila., PA 19106 (corner of 2nd & Arch).
Located in Old City, our Adoption Center typically houses 2 dogs and 30+ cats for adoption and is open 7 days a week. Volunteers are needed to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks. Our greatest needs are for our opening (9-11 a.m.) and closing (5-7 p.m.) shifts for both dog and cat care.
- PAWS Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic:
2900 Grays Ferry Ave., Phila., PA 19146.
Our clinic is located in the Grays Ferry section and, along with providing low-cost veterinary services to the public, it also serves as our shelter and houses about 15 rescued dogs and 80 cats. Volunteers are needed 7 days a week to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks.
- PAWS Northeast Adoption Center:
1810 Grant Ave. (at Bustleton), Phila., PA 19115.
Our Northeast Adoption Center typically houses 2-4 dogs and 30+ cats for adoption and is open 7 days a week. Volunteers are needed to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks. Our greatest needs are for our opening (9-11 a.m.) and closing (5-7 p.m.) shifts for both dog and cat care.
- South Philly Petsmart Satellite Adoption Center: We feature adoptable cats at Petsmart, where a team of volunteers provide daily care and interact with potential adopters. Volunteers are needed Monday-Friday from 9-11 a.m. and 6-8 p.m., and Saturday/Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. at 2360 Oregon Avenue in South Philadelphia.
- Adoption Events: We hold hundreds of adoption and fundraising events throughout the year in various locations in the city and beyond. These events are very important opportunities to introduce adoptable dogs and cats to potential adopters, spread the word about what we do, and raise money for our lifesaving efforts, and they depend on outgoing volunteers to make them happen. Most events are held on weekends, and April-November are our busiest months.
Whether you can volunteer a few times a month, a few times a week, or occasionally as your schedule permits, your help will be greatly appreciated. Volunteering with PAWS is rewarding and fun experience, and we are always eager to hear your feedback about how we can make it even better. Thank you for your interest – we hope to see you soon!
Ready to get started? Click here for our volunteer application.
Interested in an internship at PAWS?
Volunteer Spotlight: Nydia Collazo
Nydia began her time with PAWS 5½ years ago helping out at our Petsmart location in Northeast Philadelphia. Since then, she has become an asset to our volunteer program. “It’s a joy spending time with the animals and thrilling to see them heading to their new homes.”
As a volunteer, Nydia took on the role as site leader for our off-site adoption center, volunteered at adoption events, volunteers to do cat care at our Northeast Adoption Center, and assists with administrative working including processing applications. Overall, just enjoy helping out wherever I can and working with such a fine group of people. When asked what she likes most about volunteering, she said, “Overall, just enjoy helping out wherever I can and working with such a fine group of people.”
We are very lucky to have Nydia and hopes she stays a member of the PAWS family for many more years!
See more volunteer spotlights here, and check back soon for the next feature!