Become a PAWS volunteer and help us save Philadelphia’s homeless pets! Whether you help at adoption events, socialize or bathe animals at the shelter, transport them to foster homes or adoption locations, or provide administrative support, your time and compassion will make a tremendous difference in the lives of the animals who depend on us. We have volunteer opportunities to fit every schedule and preference. Please join us!
Are you a current PAWS volunteer?
Thank you for spending your free time with us! Log in here to schedule a shift or sign up for an event.
Interested in becoming a PAWS volunteer?
Getting started is simple! Just click here to fill out a brief application. Once we receive it, we’ll email you to schedule an orientation (please be sure to check your spam/junk mail folder if you don’t see anything from us within 48 hours!).
We have volunteer opportunities at the following locations:
- PAWS Old City Adoption Center:
100 N. 2nd St., Phila., PA 19106 (corner of 2nd & Arch).
Located in Old City, our Adoption Center typically houses 2 dogs and 30+ cats for adoption and is open 7 days a week. Volunteers are needed to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks. Our greatest needs are for our opening (9-11 a.m.) and closing (5-7 p.m.) shifts for both dog and cat care.
- PAWS Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic:
2900 Grays Ferry Ave., Phila., PA 19146.
Our clinic is located in the Grays Ferry section and, along with providing low-cost veterinary services to the public, it also serves as our shelter and houses about 15 rescued dogs and 80 cats. Volunteers are needed 7 days a week to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks.
- PAWS Northeast Adoption Center:
1810 Grant Ave. (at Bustleton), Phila., PA 19115.
Our Northeast Adoption Center typically houses 2-4 dogs and 30+ cats for adoption and is open 7 days a week. Volunteers are needed to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks. Our greatest needs are for our opening (9-11 a.m.) and closing (5-7 p.m.) shifts for both dog and cat care.
- South Philly Petsmart Satellite Adoption Center: We feature adoptable cats at Petsmart, where a team of volunteers provide daily care and interact with potential adopters. Volunteers are needed Monday-Friday from 9-11 a.m. and 6-8 p.m., and Saturday/Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. at 2360 Oregon Avenue in South Philadelphia.
- Adoption Events: We hold hundreds of adoption and fundraising events throughout the year in various locations in the city and beyond. These events are very important opportunities to introduce adoptable dogs and cats to potential adopters, spread the word about what we do, and raise money for our lifesaving efforts, and they depend on outgoing volunteers to make them happen. Most events are held on weekends, and April-November are our busiest months.
Whether you can volunteer a few times a month, a few times a week, or occasionally as your schedule permits, your help will be greatly appreciated. Volunteering with PAWS is rewarding and fun experience, and we are always eager to hear your feedback about how we can make it even better. Thank you for your interest – we hope to see you soon!
Ready to get started? Click here for our volunteer application.
Interested in an internship at PAWS?
Volunteer Spotlight: Sarah Collett
Sarah became a volunteer with PAWS in 2012 where she started at our Old City Adoption Center. Soon after she started volunteering she changed locations and joined the cat socialization program at our Grays Ferry Wellness Clinic. ” Who doesn’t want to cuddle cats? I look forward to every Thursday afternoon with my fellow socializer Merle, which I call my happy time.” Sarah also became a foster mom when she took in a senior cat who was not doing well in the shelter. Sarah adopted her and they have been happily living together for almost four years!
When we asked Sarah what her favorite part of volunteering was, she said, “I love being part of this community and following all the cats to their forever homes.” Sarah is so compassionate and cares for the animals as if they were her own at home. We are so lucky to have her as a volunteer at PAWS!
See more volunteer spotlights here, and check back soon for the next feature!