Our dedicated volunteers mean the difference between life and death for Philadelphia’s homeless animals. Whether you help at adoption events, socialize or bathe animals at the shelter, transport them to foster homes or adoption locations, or provide administrative support, your time and compassion will make a tremendous difference in the lives of the animals who depend on us. We have volunteer opportunities to fit every schedule and preference. Please join us!
Are you a current PAWS volunteer?
Thank you for spending your free time with us! You can click here to log-in to schedule a shift or to sign-up for an event.
Interested in becoming a PAWS volunteer?
Getting started is simple! Just click here to fill out a brief application. Once we receive it, we’ll email you to schedule an orientation (please be sure to check your spam/junk mail folder if you don’t see anything from us within 48 hours!). We look forward to having you join our community.
We have volunteer opportunities at the following locations:
- PAWS Adoption Center (PAC): 100 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 – corner of 2nd & Arch.
Located in Old City, our Adoption Center houses about three dogs and 30+ cats for adoption and is open 7 days a week. Volunteers are needed to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks. Our greatest needs at PAC are for our opening (9-11 a.m.) and closing (5-7 p.m.) shifts for both dog and cat care.
- PAWS Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic: 2900 Grays Ferry Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19146.
Our clinic is located in the Grays Ferry section and, along with providing low-cost veterinary services to the public, it also serves as our shelter and houses about 15 rescued dogs and 80 cats. Volunteers are needed 7 days a week to help with cat and dog care, cleaning, and administrative tasks.
- Satellite Adoptions: We feature adoptable cats in an off-site location, which has a team of volunteers who provide daily care and interact with potential adopters. Volunteers are needed Monday-Friday from 9-11 a.m. and 6-8 p.m., and Saturday/Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Here is the location:
- PetSmart: 7422 Bustleton Avenue (near Cottman Avenue)
- Adoption Events: We hold hundreds of adoption and fundraising events throughout the year in various locations in the city and beyond. They events are very important opportunities to introduce adoptable dogs and cats to potential adopters, spread the word about what we do, and raise money for our lifesaving efforts, and they depend on outgoing volunteers to make them happen. Most events are held on weekends, and April-November are our busiest months.
Ready to get started? Click here for our volunteer application.
Whether you can volunteer a few times a month, a few times a week, or occasionally as your schedule permits, your help will be greatly appreciated. Volunteering with PAWS is rewarding and fun experience, and we are always eager to hear your feedback about how we can make it even better. Thank you for your interest – we hope to see you soon!
Volunteer Spotlight: Lauren-Alice Lamanna
Lauren-Alice started volunteering in 2012 and became a very active volunteer immediately (even recruiting her boyfriend as a volunteer!). “When I started dating my other half Ryan (a fellow PAWS volunteer), I soon fell in love with his cat Baby and realized just how much having a pet adds to your life, and what a valuable part of the family they are“, says Lauren-Alice. She volunteers with the cats at the Adoption center, works adoption events and even became an orientation leader for our Adoption Center. What keeps her coming back? “Aside from the wonderful PAWS cats and dogs, what keeps me coming back is the amazing PAWS staff. Seeing how committed they are to their jobs and how deeply they care for the animals is inspiring to me. And of course, my fellow volunteers are a pretty fantastic bunch too!”. The PAWS staff is lucky to have Lauren-Alice as a member of the PAWS family! Volunteers, like Lauren-Alice, make it possible for us to do all that we can each day!
Check back frequently for more volunteer spotlights!