An integral member of PAWS’ team, the Office Manager supports PAWS’ lifesaving programs by maintaining financial records, managing accounts payable and receivable, collecting receipts, managing facility services, administering employee benefits, and other tasks to ensure efficient operations and a well-functioning workforce. The successful candidate will become knowledgeable about all facets of PAWS’ programs, work closely with the executive director, director of operations, and fellow managers, and join a close-knit, mission-driven team committed to saving and serving Philadelphia’s homeless and at-risk pets.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- • Maintain current system to account for financial transactions; uphold and refine organization’s bookkeeping policies and procedures.
- • Receive, confirm, and investigate accounts payable invoices as needed, and issue authorized payments in a timely fashion.
- • Receive cash receipts from all PAWS locations, verify against daily transaction reports, book, and prepare bank deposits.
- • Receive donations by mail, provide to development staff for recording and acknowledgement, book, and prepare bank deposits.
- • Track accounts receivable (credit card deposits, invoices for services rendered, event sponsorships, grant awards, etc.) and provide follow-up as needed to ensure timely payments.
- • Verify, allocate, and post transactions; research and reconcile discrepancies; and balance accounts.
- • Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- • Communicate (verbally and in written form) with clients, vendors, and banking contacts as needed.
- • Assist accountants in preparing the organization’s annual tax return and audit by gathering and providing requested documentation.
- • Generate 1099s.
- • Oversee implementation of employee onboarding/offboarding processes and related forms, policy manuals, and other documentation.
- • Maintain calendar to ensure timely performance reviews are conducted and that appropriate resulting actions are taken (raises, probations, subsequent reviews scheduled, etc.), as determined by managers.
- • Maintain familiarity with payroll processing system and identify opportunities to use its features more fully.
- • Process and manage employee benefit programs and related documentation; review all enrollment paperwork for accuracy and ensure timely submission.
- • Respond to and manage Unemployment and Workers’ Compensations claims and related documents.
- • Maintain personnel files.
- • In collaboration with the Executive Director and Director of Operations, identify and implement opportunities to assess and enhance employee satisfaction and wellness.
Administrative Support and Facility Management
- • Serve as main point of contact for service providers (burglar/fire alarm monitoring, HVAC, snow/waste removal, etc.), ensure preventive maintenance visits are conducted, and service is requested as needed.
- • Provide administrative and clerical support such as record keeping and filing.
- • Maintain inventory and order supplies as needed.
- • Open mail, prepare correspondence, and perform other administrative duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- • High School diploma required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- • Minimum of two years responsible accounting or bookkeeping experience including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and financial reports.
- • High degree of proficiency in Quickbooks Online, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive.
- • A commitment to PAWS’ lifesaving mission on behalf of Philadelphia’s homeless, abandoned, and unwanted animals. Ideal candidate is organized, personable, patient, flexible, and motivated to implement the goals, objectives, and policies of the agency.
- • Ability to work cooperatively with staff and volunteers and get along well with a variety of people, fostering an environment of effective teamwork.
- • A strong worth ethic, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- • Thorough, with excellent attention to detail.
- • Strong sense of initiative and ability to problem-solve, identifying tasks that need to be accomplished and prioritizing appropriately, multi-tasking when necessary, and working independently with minimal supervision and direction.
- • Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, in English.
- • Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- • Maturity, good judgment, a professional personal appearance, and a calm, tactful demeanor.
Physical Requirements: No allergic conditions that would be aggravated by working in close proximity to animals.
Direct Supervisor: Executive Director.
Hours: This is a full-time, exempt position. PAWS is open seven days a week. A minimum of 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, is required. Daily reporting hours and days of the week are primarily Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but may vary according to the needs of the organization and may occasionally include weekend, night and holiday work.
Interested? We want to hear from you! Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org